Summer’s arrived and thoughts are turning to exotic sun-drenched beaches. But take care: sun, salt and chlorine can all play havoc with your hair.
Wolverhampton Magazine recently asked Salon Director Gary Edge’s top summer hair care tips to keep their reader’s tresses glossy, shiny and gorgeous.
Summer hair care tips and advice from Gary
- Prep hair with intensive conditioning treatments pre-holiday to boost moisture levels.
- Your scalp is an extension of your face. Use a sun protection product with a high SPF in the form of a gel, mousse, spray or leave-in conditioner on your hair and scalp. I like the Wella SP collection.
- Chlorinated water can turn hair, especially blondes, brassy with a greenish hue. Rinse thoroughly with clean water before your swim – wet hair soaks up less chlorine than dry.
- Multi task. Comb in leave-in conditioner before swimming. Afterwards, rinse with fresh water (take a bottle of tap water to the beach if you’re not near a shower) and then re-apply protection.
- Post-beach, use a gentle shampoo specially formulated for chlorine removal. Then apply a deep conditioning after-sun treatment to leave your hair looking and feeling nourished, healthy and shiny.
- Keep styles and accessories simple. Holidays are the perfect opportunity to cut down on heated tools and irons. Velcro rollers are a great instant style reviver, adding body and life. Take 3-4 sections of the hair, wrap around the roller and spray with hairspray, unravel to reveal hot beach waves.
- The bun is back! We’re seeing hot starlets sporting casual buns with hair wrapped around a ponytail. Ideal for the beach or for a more polished look in the evening.
- Always wear a hat or a scarf – especially if your hair is coloured. Prevention is always better than cure!
- Coloured hair fades and lightens much more quickly than natural hair. Book a colour treatment for your return, rather than just before you go away, to refresh your colour post-hols.”
Call our Wolverhampton salon on 01902 422746 or Kingswinford on 01384 400315